Alberta Angling Adventures
 Home |  South |  Rockies |  Central |  Edmonton |  North |  Calgary
 Operators |  Alberta Map |  Fish Guide |  Sportfish of Alberta |  Shimano
 Outdoor Adventures |  Huge Returns |  Fishing for peace (and quiet)
 Alberta's Fishing Packages |  Essentials |  Alberta Facts |  License |  Free Copy

Alberta Essentials

Summer June to August  20°   68°
Fall September to November  11°   52°
Winter December to February -11°   12°
Spring March to May   9°   48°

Traveller's cheques and credit cards are accepted at most commercial establishments, banks and currency exchange offices. Banking hours are generally 9:30 4 p.m., Monday to Friday; some banks are open Saturdays. Most automated teller machines (ATMs) accept one or more of the following networks: Interac, Cirrus or Plus. They are found at banks and in retail areas.

Camping is available throughout the province in private campgrounds and resorts, national parks and provincial parks. Reservations can be made at private campgrounds and at certain parks. Camping fees range from $10-$30 depending on services. To receive a campground guide, call Travel Alberta at 1.800.ALBERTA or

Visitors from all countries but the U.S.A. need a valid passport. Photo ID, proof of citizenship and residence are mandatory for U.S. citizens (though a passport is preferred). Visitors from all other countries must possess a passport and should contact the nearest Canadian Consulate or Embassy for more information. For visa information, visit

Fishing licences outside the national parks can be purchased from select sporting good stores, convenience stores and some gas stations.
Call 1-888-944-5494 for the nearest licence issuer.
Web site: Hunting regulations and special licensing requirements vary depending on the type of hunting. Hunting is absolutely prohibited in the national parks. For more information on hunting and fishing, contact:
Alberta Sustainable Resource
9920 - 108 St.,
Edmonton, AB, T5K 2M4
Phone: (780) 944-0313
Or visit:

Alberta has an excellent health-care system; however, the health-care plan does not cover out-of-province visitors. Clarify your coverage before entering Alberta through your personal insurance carrier. Contact your local travel agent for further details.

Alberta is accessible from the east and west by two officially designated Trans-Canada routes. Hwy 1 crosses Alberta in the South and the Trans-Canada Yellowhead Hwy (Hwy 16) crosses Central Alberta. Northbound travel is provided on QE2, or you may want to take the scenic route through the mountain parks on the spectacular Icefields Parkway (Hwy 93).

Hostels vary from basic (bed, kitchen facilities) to superior standards (family rooms, laundry facilities, licensed café, showers, sauna). Alberta offers 16 hostels in Banff, Jasper (along the Icefields Parkway), Waterton, Kananaskis Country, David Thompson Country, Calgary and Edmonton. For more details, contact Edmonton's office at
(780) 432-7798
or e-mail
or the office in Calgary at
(403) 283-5551
or e-mail

Canada uses the metric system. All highway and traffic indicators are in km and km/h, gas is sold by the litre, temperature is measured in Celsius, and the electrical current is 110 volts.
•   1 kilometre = 0.62 miles
•   100 km/h = 62 m.p.h.
•   3.8 litres = 1 gallon
•   Temperature 25°C = 77°F

Special tours and services are available throughout Alberta and the Rockies. Drivers and guides offer historical information and insight into the area. For more information visit Travel Alberta at

Owners must accompany their pets when entering Canada. Owners of dogs and cats must bring a certificate issued by a licensed veterinarian clearly identifying the pet and certifying that it has been vaccinated against rabies within the preceding 36 months. There are exceptions made for seeing-eye dogs and puppies or kittens that are younger than three months old. For more details on border crossings with a pet, contact:
Canada Customs Regional Office
Bay 32, 3033 - 34 Ave. N.E.
Calgary, AB T1Y 6X2
Within Canada, call toll-free:
Outside Canada, call:
(403) 292-4613
or (204) 983-3500
Or visit:

Alberta is served by Via Rail scheduled service. Stops are scheduled in Edmonton and Jasper. Call the VIA number in your area for reservations and information. In the U.S., VIA Rail can be booked through AMTRAK. Rocky Mountaineer Railtours travels from Calgary and Banff to the West Coast of B.C. This southern route through Canada's Rockies is considered one of the world's classic rail trips. For details, visit

All car rental companies have a strong network of outlets in Alberta. To rent a car you must be 21 years old and hold a valid driver's licence and a major credit card. (A small surcharge may apply to drivers under 25 years of age).

Renting a motorhome is a convenient way to explore Alberta. You may purchase insurance at the time of rental. For lower rates, it is recommended that bookings be made three to four months in advance.
For more information, visit

Alberta is the only province in Canada with no Provincial Sales Tax (PST). The Canadian Government charges a five per cent Goods & Services Tax (GST) on most purchases. For more information in Canada, call 1-800-66-VISIT; outside Canada, call (902) 432-5608. Or visit

The average tip in Canada is 15 per cent. However, depending on the level and the nature of the service, tipping may range from 10 per cent to more than 20 per cent. Tips are generally given for good service by food and beverage servers in bars and restaurants, taxi drivers, tour guides and hotel bellman. It is not necessary to tip other service staff.

International visitors driving to Canada can use any of the following ports of entry:
•   Aden, Alberta/Whitlash, Montana;
•   Carway, Alberta/Peigan, Montana;
•   Del Bonita, Alberta/Del Bonita, Montana;
•   Wild Horse, Alberta/Wild Horse, Montana;
•   Coutts, Alberta/Sweetgrass, Montana;
•   Chief Mountain, Alberta/Chief Mountain, Montana

Revolvers, pistols, fully automatic firearms and other weapons and self-defence sprays (e.g. mace, pepper spray) are prohibited entry into Canada. All firearms (e.g. hunting rifles, shotguns) must be declared. To obtain information on firearms legislation, please call the Canadian Firearms Centre inquiry line at 1-800-731-4000.

There are visitor and convention centres in Calgary, Edmonton and many of the smaller cities, which are able to host meetings and conventions of any size. The full-service resorts, hotels, lodges and restaurants in Alberta's most popular destinations are other ideal sites for conferences and meetings.
Call 1.800.ALBERTA (252.3782).

For more information:
Go to
or call 1-800-756-4351
or 1-800-ALBERTA (252-3782).

 Home |  South |  Rockies |  Central |  Edmonton |  North |  Calgary
 Operators |  Alberta Map |  Fish Guide |  Sportfish of Alberta |  Shimano
 Outdoor Adventures |  Huge Returns |  Fishing for peace (and quiet)
 Alberta's Fishing Packages |  Essentials |  Alberta Facts |  License |  Free Copy
Sunny Alberta Truly Canadian Adventures